May 23, 2011

Boy

Boy is tough.  As seen from a previous post, he gets scrapes, gouges, gashes, bruises, dents of all kinds from the natural process of being a boy, I suppose.  But, he rarely cries about them; and if he does, it doesn't last long.

The other day, Boy got his regular immunization shots.  The nurse got all ready with the bandaid half stuck to the exam table, loosened the cap on the syringe, had me hold his arms while she pinned his legs with her torso and said "here we go".  When the needle went into his little thigh, Boy did nothing.  He looked down at his leg for a second.  But, no shriek, no scream, no wince of any kind.  ? What ?  Okay, it was only one injection- but it packed three different immunization fluids in it.  After the shot was over, all he wanted to do was play with the band-aid on his leg.  The nurse was as stunned as I was.  "That's never happened to me before" she said.  "He didn't even flinch."

Fast Forward

Later that day, I was strapping Boy into his car seat when I accidentally took my phone out of my pocket within his view to look at the time. He immediately began whining and reaching out to grab it. Whenever he wants the phone he says "Hi...hi...hi." When I quickly put it back in my pocket, closed the door and got into the driver's seat- he began to wail! Big huge tears streaming down his face. He screamed the entire drive home from the store (20 minutes), intermittently yelling "Hiiiiii..aaaaah..hiiiii!"

Shot in the leg? No biggie. Cell phone denial? Complete devastation.

3 comments:

Candy said...

that is hilarious! and i can't believe he didn't cry! wow!!!

the harrisons said...

what a stud. i already feel like i am lost without my phone..imagine what it will be like for our kids!

Kelly said...

i just love that little guy. cute story.