December 12, 2007

Only 3 days!!!




I know some single parents and I admire the heck out of them. Where do you guys find the patience, drive and just plain sanity to do it? I am completely amazed by these particular people I know, and I am guessing they have much more courage and determination than I do. Brandon has been in Phoenix since Monday for work. He'll be home tonight, but only after Elly is already down for the night. Ok, you may be laughing at me at this point because he'll only be gone a total of 3 days. But, I'm not doing so well parenting on my own. I am not by any means suggesting that now I know what it's like to be a single parent, mind you. I don't at all. But, I might have caught a glimpse of some of the things that are involved. It may be partly do to the fact that Elly has had a pretty nasty cold and has been whining slash screaming the whole time or it may just be that I am a total wimp. The truth is that, yeah- I can handle 3 days of her and me together alone, but I honestly think I'm handling it because I know it will end tonight. He'll be back and I'll be able to count on him to draw the bath or change a diaper or just play with her while I do something- anything else. I love being with Elly. I do it all day, everyday. These past few days as we've been alone, I haven't done too much more actual work than I do when Brandon's here. But, I guess there's just something huge about the little things that he does before he leaves and when he comes home at night. There's something huge to me about having the promise of help. I think that's what it is. I do take care of her, and it's usually a joy for me...but when those times come where I'm just going to scream myself if she screams one more time, I know there's a back up. Brandon's there to provide relief. And he does it beautifully might I add. And he's always 100% willing to jump in and help. He always wants to, too. These past few days, I've missed him terribly and not just because he's so great helping with Elly. Of course I've missed my husband and partner. But, I think what I'm talking about here is missing the promise of relief. I just have to say that I truly do admire and respect single parents, especially those I know and love. I know that mostly you do it because you love your children and you simply do what they need to keep them healthy and happy. I would be able to do it too, I think. But it would be require a lot more strength, more patience than I now have and to be honest- a lot more growing up on my part. So, to those single parents I know who do it many more days than 3, if I can give you relief in any way- please, please let me.

ps I added these pictures of Elly having her first ever mini ice cream cone the week before her first birthday, so that this post wouldn't be a total bummer.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Hang in there!!! You're doing great!

Kristin said...

3 days is definately tough. I die when Tyler is gone for one night on his scout campouts.
PS... Tyler was here when I was reading this and he said to tell Brandon next time he's in Phoenix to call him - he misses him.

AJ's Art said...

I can totally relate. For me it is just knowing an adult will be there at some point in the day who can commiserate with me. That's all I need.