June 25, 2007

Lacy and Gram Ben


This is a picture of me with my great grandmother, Frances Bennett. I was probably about Elly's age here (6 or 7 months). I have been thinking recently that Elly looks like my baby pictures, but seeing this one might change my mind. Her cheeks are bigger for one! Anyway, I thought I'd write a little about my great-grandmother, we called her Gram Ben. I was fortunate enough to know her. Each Sunday, we would go to her house for "Family Gathering". I remember playing with one particular fancy purse that she had that was gold and really fun to feel. It was always a fun time for the kids to get together with the cousins (first cousins once removed, second cousins, third cousins?) and more. It was one time a week where all the adults went into a room and talked and the kids got to play with different toys and different kids, make up skits and eat waffle cremes. It was a great time. Gram Ben seemed to always be happy to see us. She had beautiful white hair and really soft skin. We always gave her a kiss when we came in the apartment. Later on, my parents took both my great-grand parents to lunch every week at Village Inn and I went occasionally. Gram always ordered a half a belgian waffle and a child's milk. She always buttered each individual square. She always got dressed up to go to lunch. She looked elegant. She died when I was 17 years old. It isn't every girl who knows her great grandmother so well. I feel very blessed to have been so close to my ancestors.

3 comments:

madelyn said...

It was fun to read this and remember Gram. She was a classy lady. What great memories I have of Family Gathering, those awesome waffle cookies, and Thursdays at Village Inn.

Hilary said...

Oh, you were sooo cute! I don't remember my great grandmother very well but we called her G.G. and I am pretty sure the super awesome gold purse we used to use for dress up came from her. Love your blog!

Anna said...

Seeing this picture of you makes me realize how much Elly looks like you! The 1st pic of Doc and Elly that you posted looks just like you! She's so so so cute...I can't wait to see her soon!