March 31, 2011

Elly Quotes - Elly the Scientist

Elly was having some Grape-Nuts tonight and put a little sugar on it.

Elly:  "Dad, when the milk goes on it will melt the sugar.  Watch!"

I talked to her about her observation and asked her if she thought water would dissolve the sugar (after teaching her the word "dissolve").  She thought it would, so we performed an experiment and observed the outcome.  She was right and got excited to do more experiments.

So we tested salt.  Her hypothesis that it would also dissolve in water was confirmed by her experiment and observation.  So she formed a new hypothesis.  I asked her what else might dissolve.  She went over to Lacy and said, "Mom, what color is baking soda?"  She was forming a hypothesis around the color - white.

Sure enough, the baking soda dissolved.  But then we tested brown sugar.  It dissolved too.  I asked her why it dissolved even though it wasn't white.  She said, "I think because it's a type of powder."  (So smart!).  I told her I thought she was right.  The color didn't matter, just that it was a powder.

By now she was enthralled.

Brandon:  "Do you think something that's not a powder will dissolve?  Like a little piece of plastic?"

Elly:  "Mmm, probably not."

Brandon:  "What about if it's white?"

Elly:  "Mmm, I don't know.  Let's just try it and find out!"  (I was bursting - so happy!)

We put a little white solid object in the bowl and poured the water. It, of course, did not dissolve.

Elly:  "Dad, it's too big.  It didn't dissolve!"

Our first foray into the world of science.  I'm super excited to keep doing more experiments with my little girl!

1 comment:

Tina said...

Yeah for science and inquiring minds. Good job encouraging her, Brandon! Yeah for Elly the Scientist! This is just what the world needs -- scientists like Elly